Pustak memesaahibAnTi handed over one of his batons to me, so I take it up. Here goes:
1. You’re stuck inside Fahrenheit 451! which book do you want to be?
Having not read F 451, only barely aware of the plot and reading Vinod's interpretation, I have two in each category:
Something I like and would be subversive in F 451: Surely, you're joking Mr. Feynman! For if you wanted to rebel against boxing of thought, what better illustration than the story of a man who did that all his life?
Something I don't think I'd like and would tie up the censors in knots: Ulysses
2. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
- Like AnTi, Kathleen Kelly from You've Got Mail, also the Julia Ormond version from Sabrina and of course Ilsa Lund from Casablanca. But assuming we're looking for more bookish examples, I guess Betty from the Archie comics. Someone that nice and dependable - wonder what Archie's sees in that other girl! Perhaps the underdog effect.
3. The last book you bought is:
- Where On Earth Am I by Jug Suraiya. But the last book I helped buy was The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time.
4. The last book you read: - India in Slow Motion by Tully & Wright and (appropriately) The Meme Machine by Susan Blackmore.
5. What are you currently reading? - Baudolino by Umberto Eco and Being Digital by Nicholas Negroponte
6. Five books you would take to a deserted island:
* The Complete Sherlock Holmes book - Doyle
* One of the Jeeves Omnibus books - Wodehouse
* Yes Prime Minister - Anthony Jay & Jonathan Lynn
* Being Happy - Andrew Matthews
* Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman!
7. Who are you going to pass this stick to and why?
* Sudarshan so that he'd be utterly confused because he'll have more options than anyone else I know :-)
* George, because his DVD player needs a rest.
* Nikhil to spread the meme into non-English literature and avoid monotony.
* Anand to give him some exercise while he recuperates.